New Year’s resolutions overrated

Nina Kumle, Copy Editor

As this year comes to an end, many are trying to find their New Year’s resolution for 2017, but making a resolution isn’t worth the thought.

A New Year’s resolution is generally only one goal you make for the year, and people rarely ever actually accomplish those specific goals. People generally completely give up and forget, but achieve many smaller goals throughout the year. If you really think about it,  you don’t need to make a New Year’s resolution to accomplish your goals throughout the year.

When I used to make resolutions each year, I would make a goal, then the next day I completely gave up and said I am going to make a goal next year. Then, when I actually remember it (after five years) there is no point in doing it anymore. It isn’t relevant to my life anymore, or I would remember but keep putting it off until the end of the year and just procrastinate when I no longer felt motivated to fulfill my resolution. In reality you may not have had enough time to complete your goal in the first place.

Since I am in high school, I always have some sort of project or assignment to do.  Then if I am behind and need to catch up on work, I’m not gonna have time to worry about my resolution.  But since I made a resolution, it will end up on my mind as another thing I need to do. I will make time to accomplish my resolution, and will become stressed quite quickly. I may have other things to do that I have to put aside because I feel the need to achieve my resolution.

You could spend up to an hour on trying to find a resolution you want to attain. Within that hour you could do so many things such as, watch an episode of something on Netflix, take a short nap,do homework, or even bake something in the kitchen.

I think a lot of people find themselves with unreasonable goals that simply cannot happen or are just impossible to manage. As high schoolers, we have big goals, big dreams, big plans, but if your resolution is to become an astronaut as a high school student between the ages of 14 and 18, you may be reaching a little too high for the sky.

You don’t need to make a new year’s resolution since you accomplish little things everyday, and occasionally large and incredible things. These little things bring many great little memories and stories to tell. While if you end up attaining your resolution, you may end up with a big and grand story to tell, just one story, scene, one range of thoughts or feelings. If you keep focusing on one large thing, you may miss the opportunities right in front of you.