Back to the Bathroom Wars: Transgender ban unfair

Nina Kumle, Staff Writer

Until Wednesday, transgender individuals had begun getting more rights while Obama was president. Now our society is taking a step back.

Donald Trump is at it again. He rescinded protections for transgender students in regards to the locker rooms and restrooms, which is absolutely ridiculous.

Transgender people have it hard enough as it is. Now literally anyone can make fun of them when it comes to which restroom they use. It’s not hard to tell that Trump doesn’t respect them in the first place. Trump has no reason to let others discriminate against trans people because they are different than him. Just because he does not necessarily agree with their actions doesn’t mean that he should let people go “hate” on them. They never did anything to him, so why does he have to hurt them? Not a single person should be bullied throughout his or her entire life. Every human has needs, and one of those needs includes safety. Transgender people will not receive  that if others can now bully them because they aren’t like them.

You can’t expect them to change where they feel uncomfortable or hide the fact that they are transgender in order for the cis population to feel 100 percent comfortable. They shouldn’t have to go into the nurses to change just because they are “different.” Having someone who happens to be transgender change in the same room shouldn’t be a big deal. Just think of how uncomfortable they probably feel already with society not fully accepting them yet. In fact they aren’t even really that different. They are just people. You are a person and so are they. People have to change in and out of clothes, and where do people change? People change their clothes in a locker room. People have to go to the restroom.  Where do people do that?  Um…in the restroom.   Do you really expect someone to wear the same clothes for school and PE or just not go to the restroom because he or she is scared of being bullied?

Trump is being ridiculous and is obviously not thinking of how he’s affecting over 1.4 million people and how the transgender community must must feel now. By rescinding protections, Trump is effectively isolating them as a “different” part of the population.  He doesn’t seem to realize that just because he’s president doesn’t mean everyone will automatically support him.