Swim hosts league meet

Angie Moss, Print Editor and Chief

As the Manhattan High girls swim team headed into the final event of the Centennial League meet last Friday, they were within 10 points of a title. One victory in a 400-yard freestyle relay was all that stood between the girls and a championship.

Unfortunately, the girls were unable to close that gap, coming in just over seven seconds slower than Rural and finishing in second place.

“It was bittersweet,” senior Grace Walker said. “I knew it was one of my last chances to swim some of my best times and leave it all in the pool. We also came in a very close second, which was a little bit disappointing, but it was all exciting and a lot of fun.”

Despite the outcome, the girls felt prepared going into the meet.

“As a team, we were pretty confident and excited for the meet,” junior Victoria Bedros said. “After a week of taper, we were hoping for a lot of best times. Personally, I was just excited for league because it’s a really fun meet while still making you feel anxious.”

Manhattan accomplished their goal, with nearly every swimmer dropping time and achieving a new personal record.

Although this was MHS’ first time hosting league in several years, the girls believed that the pressure wasn’t bad compared to the comfort of competing at home. The diving team competed on Thursday and finished with three top-10 placers: freshman Shelby Goscha in eighth place with 289.70 points, and sophomores Josie and Jill Broxtermann in ninth and 10th place with 268.30 points and 260.30 points respectively.

Next the girls will be preparing for the state meet, which takes place Thursday through Saturday in Topeka.

“Honestly I think that we’re actually going to score points this year, that wasn’t the case last year because we just didn’t have the people,” Bedros said. “This year we have a great group of girls — I mean, one relay had already qualified for state at the first meet this season.”