Manhattan High churchgoers aid natural disaster victims

Elizabeth Alexander, Trending Editor

Summer time means the same thing for a lot of high schoolers; relaxation, fun, and simply taking it easy. However, for some kids, they find themselves going out of their way to tend to the needs of others and give back to the community.

This past summer, a handful of Manhattan High School students affiliated with the Crestview Christian Church made their way down to New Orleans. Their objective was to help the individuals and communities still affected by Hurricane Katrina. From painting and prayer walks to even assisting in building a sports complex in a local park.

“I was super excited to be part of what God was doing in the community,” junior Katharina Ohler said. “I think it’s so freaking cool that I got to go to New Orleans with my church family and serve others for a whole week. It was such a valuable experience.”

Despite the fact that Hurricane Katrina occurred in 2005, parts of New Orleans are still affected by the damage the natural disaster brought.

“We wanted to go down and just help in whatever way we can,” junior Mason Garren said. “We did a lot of painting and repairing stuff from Hurricane Katrina.”

While some students saw this experience as generous and valuable, other students saw it as enlightening due to the striking contrast in cultures between Kansas and Louisiana. Along with that, students were also able to interact with individuals who came from extremely different social classes as well. It was an eye-opening experience for some.

“[The city] is very much divided and it was very strange to see,” Ohler said. “Another big difference was that there was a lot over poverty, and that just is not something that is seen everyday in Manhattan.”

Overall, the trip allowed students to widen their horizons and extend their generosity to others. The Crestview Church does not currently have detailed plans for their next trip, but do aim to keep travelling.

“It was good to see how we impacted the community and spread good and joy to or people,” Garren said. “The community was amazed that they were seeing teenagers helping the community.”