Manhattan students travel worldwide

Maiesha Hossain, Features Editor

With the end of the school year and the start of summer, it’s only natural that students left and right would be setting out on vacations and new adventures.  This is exactly what many MHS students did when they decided to travel abroad on school sponsored trips, headed by Lindsy Clark and Andrew Farmer, to Peru and The British Isles.  

For nine days Clark and her group of students worked their way through the major cities and areas of Lima, Cusco, and the Sacred Valley, where they were immersed in the culture and architecture of Peru.

“They live so differently, many of them make their living off of tourists buying their goods in the markets,” senior Kendra Geisbrecht said.  Along with exploring local life, the students also had the opportunity to explore many historic sites, such as Machu Picchu.

“The whole trip was educational.  We visited many incan ruins and towns and learned a lot about how the Inca people lived in their time,” said senior Cailey Perkins.

The trip also gave the students a chance to practice the Spanish they had learned in class on locals of the Spanish-speaking country.  

“It really gave me a chance to get comfortable with speaking the language, That was probably one of the best things about the trip,” said Geisbrecht.

While Clark and her students were exploring Peru, Farmer and his own group of students were across the Atlantic Ocean exploring parts of Europe. Mr. Farmer and his group of students spent ten days exploring The Capitals of the British Isles, made up of Dublin in Ireland, Belfast in Ireland, Edinburgh in Scotland, and London in England.  The students visited historic landmarks such as Saint Patrick’s Cathedral in Dublin, The Edinburgh Castle in Edinburgh, and Big Ben in London. They also witnessed the changing of the guards at Buckingham Palace and walked on Abbey Road.

“We learned all about the history and that doesn’t sound that fun but it was actually really interesting and I’mpretty sure everyone on the trip agreed,” graduate Sara Hernandez said.

Aside from the major cities and landmarks, the students also got the chance to explore small seaside towns, such as Bray in Ireland, where the group climbed to the top of a hill where they were treated to a view of the sea and small town.

“I would definitely recommend traveling abroad to other students.  It’s a great opportunity to travel and at the prime age to learn hands on about other cultures and the history of other places,” said Senior Susana Vick.

This summer, many students took advantage of  the opportunities provided by the school to travel abroad and explore new places and cultures. As Perkins said “Seeing a place that is so different from where you are from is eye opening, It changes your perspective on the world.”