Getting out and about in MHK, fun outdoor activities

Aloera Ostermann, Staff Writer

While Manhattan may be a college town, it has much to offer besides the college atmosphere. Outdoor activities are common among high school students.    

A place to enjoy nature and spend quality time with family offered in the form of prairies and hills is the Konza. It offers many beautiful views and quiet places to relax, as well as coming into contact with a side of themselves people often can’t express in a city environment.

People often go hiking at the Konza Prairie. At the Konza, there are opportunities to walk many trails. The shortest trail available is the “Nature Trail” which is only two and a half miles long. The longest trail is the “Godwin Hill Loop” which is six miles.

“I’ve done both and the long one’s too long, I like the short one better,” Chase Erickson, sophomore, said.  

While a payment is not required it is requested that a $2 donation be made. The trails lead over Kings Creek, a river that crosses the trail at a few points. Coming across many different plants is not uncommon, but if luck is on the side of the people, they may even be able to catch a glimpse of some deer or bison. Taking pictures of the animals and nature are very much allowed, even encouraged. Many people take candid photos of themselves and others with the scenery in the background.

While the Konza is great for hiking it is not permitted that bicycles be ridden on the trails for sake of preserving the nature, but biking is something that is offered in many different locations in Manhattan. The most common biking trail is the Linear Trail. The trail is over nine miles in length and joggers, walkers, bikers, dogs and other animals are permitted. The trail winds around most of Manhattan and provides a view of the city.

Dirt, gravel, and cement are great for wheels and feet but water is best traveled on in a canoe or kayak. With the Kansas River running through Manhattan, the Little Apple Paddle is an opportunity to take advantage of the river.

“I’ve been twice this summer, sometimes I camp and stay the night on the river, the farthest I’ve gone is 18 miles,” Erickson said.

That’s the longest route available on the river. There are also many spots to stop and take breaks along the way.  

The River has a few curves and mostly straight sections, so it shouldn’t be too difficult even for beginners. However, it has it’s difficulties as well.

“The hardest part is paddling against the current,” Erickson said.

Along with these things people also enjoy fishing in Tuttle Creek Reservoir and doing river walks at Pillsbury Crossing. Getting outside and being active is something easy to do with all of the options in and near Manhattan.