Celebrate this Halloween with awareness

Kami Bussmann, Staff Writer

Ever since we were little we have been given tips and rules on staying safe Halloween night. Not all of the rules given to us when we were younger truly apply to us anymore, due to being in high school. Although, there are still some things to keep in mind when you go spooking around.

Most high school students don’t go door to door asking for treats in a costume. Saying that, it’s still a good thing to remember the basics of trick-or-treating. Taking candy that is not in a wrapper, like homemade treats, might be a little sketch, especially if you don’t know the person handing them out. Knowing exactly what is put in unwrapped treats is not a for-sure known thing when going door to door. So, you should check the candy you get before you eat it. Also, always use the buddy system when walking around, never go somewhere without another person you know.

“Even though we live in a small-ish town, make sure you aren’t going by yourself especially for girls because some people suck,” Bronwynn Bliss, sophomore, said.

Wearing reflective clothing and having lights helps a lot when staying safe because that’s a way cars can see where you are. A great source of light is your cellphone. For high school students it is always a good idea to make sure your phone is fully charged upon leaving the house. Plans can change so you might not know how long you’re going to be out around town or what trouble you might run into. Having a charged phone comes in handy because you’re guaranteed a flashlight, in most phones, and you have a source to call someone in case you get in trouble. You should always know where you are going and where you are at, as well, which means you should stray from places that don’t look or feel safe.

“I live near a bunch of college kids so I stay clear from their parties,” Bliss said.

Halloween is full of costumes, parties, candy and fun. The ultimate thing to keep in mind Halloween night is to stay safe.