Young wrestling team gets first shot of action

Jonah Evarts, Sports Editor

The Manhattan High wrestling team competed in a dual and a tournament over the weekend, losing the dual and placing third in the tournament. Seven wrestlers got their first chance at Varsity action, and the young team piled on experience.

“Doing everything right [helped prepare the most,” junior Robert Houston said. “My teammates were a big help too, keeping me focused and pushing me in practice everyday to get better and do what I can do.”

The dual, which took place at St. Thomas Aquinas on Friday, came down to the wire. The competition started with junior Christian Schlepp with a pin in the second period. Manhattan held a slight lead of 36-32 heading into the last match. Junior Robert Houston was pinned in the third period, and the team came up short 36-38.

“[The young wrestlers] performed well, they do have a long ways to go though because they’re not used to wrestling in highschool yet, but they’ll get there.” Christensen said.

They had no time to rest coming off the lost, and headed to the Gardner-Edgerton Invitational the next day. Leading the way for a third place finish overall were individual champions of their weight classes, junior Bubba Wilson at 152 and Christensen at 285. Having two individual champions was a milestone for the program in this Invitational; it’s the first time it’s ever happened. Sophomore Tate Sauder, senior Abraham Sanchez, and senior Jalin Harper all placed second to boost the scores also, in the 106, 138 and 160 weight classes.
“Being able to stay in a whole match [will help us improve],” Christensen said. “Not just trying to win early because when you wrestle a good wrestler, you’re not going to be able to get it done early so being able to stay in shape and get through a whole match is important.”

The team will have another chance to prove themselves this coming Saturday at the only home matches they’ll see, in a dual tournament.