Harrison sets league record, leads Indians to third place finish

John Ostermann, Online Editor-in-Chief

Records don’t get broken often, they are set and stand for a long time before being beat. Senior Preston Harrison was one a the few people that was able to set a record for the school’s swim team in their league meet. Harrison broke the league record for the 100 yard butterfly.

“I kind of expected to do it as cocky as that seems I kind of expected to go in and be able to do that,” Harrison said. “I’ve been having a pretty good season leading up to that so I assumed I was going to have a pretty good race.”

Harrison swam the 100 fly in 51.41 seconds breaking the previous record by almost a full second. Grant Rodgers from Washburn Rural was the previous record holder with a time of 52.38, which he set in 2011.

“I just got super hype like oh I gotta do this! I can totally get this record now,” Harrison said. “So like 5 minutes later I got up on the block swam it and saw my time of like 51 something and I was like geez I actually went the time. I almost beat it by a full second. I go down in history with League I guess.”

Harrison qualified for state in the 100 fly and the 100 backstroke. Joining him will be fellow senior Wyatt Balman who made his state qualifying time in the league meet in the 100 fly as well.

The relay team of Harrison, senior Cole Dudley, sophomore Xander Say and junior Suman Wang will also be headed to state in the 400-yard freestyle and the 200-yard medley relays.

The Indians will go to the state meet next weekend.