Tennis prepares for upcoming season

John Ostermann, Online Editor-in-Chief

After coming off of a strong year, the boys tennis team looks to return to the courts and be as strong as ever. The Indians lost their star player from last year when Bryce Easton graduated but will return a lot of young talent. This young talent attempts to challenge themselves and finish in the top of the state standings.

A 13th place finish in state last year is something that will be difficult to follow but the Indians have high expectations for this year.

“I think last year no one really expected us to do much,” junior Mitch Hutchinson said. “We had a very young team with only two returning varsity letterman. This year I think our expectations are higher.”

The Indians have won three straight league titles and look to continue that streak with a fourth this year. They will have one returning state contender in junior Jack Easton who competed in doubles in the state competition.

Also returning are varsity letter winners Hutchinson, sophomore Jerin Ugrin and junior Dylan Harr.

“Our goals for this year are to get our fourth straight league title, win regionals and eventually go on to place top three in state,” Hutchinson said.

The Indians have no seniors this year so they will look to the juniors for guidance and leadership.

They will travel to Washburn Rural for the Washburn Rural Invite on March 27 for their first tournament of the season.