Finding motivation to finish strong

Jacob Clanton, Print Editor-in-Chief

Near the end of the semester, it becomes difficult to stay focused on education. Many students neglect to do work, switching to coast mode instead. “The end is near,” they say. “Why should I care?” Keeping up the intensity to finish with the grades you want is important. To do that, you have to find motivation.

1. Change things up. In article titled “How to Stay Motivated at the End of the Semester,” author Kelci Lynn Lucier talks about the importance of changing your routine up. Many students become unfocused because they are simply going through the motions. To combat this, you should do things differently. Go to bed earlier. Hang out with your friends doing something fun after school. Go out for lunch and grab something healthy. Even if it’s just one day, changing up your routine can provide a much needed reset in your brain.
  2. Set short-term attainable goals. Everyone likes to feel like they are accomplishing something. But when the projects become large or abstract, it becomes difficult to attain that sense of accomplishment. The College Board, in an article titled “Tips for Staying Motivated,” talks about the importance of breaking down large projects into smaller sections. By doing this, you can have many smaller projects, ones that anyone can do.
  3. Schedule in downtime. During the final push, it is sometimes difficult to remember that there is more to life than school. When this mindset comes over you, it can be overwhelming. Making time to do things you want to do is important. Lucier says to plan time with your friends early, putting in your calendar and going through with your plans. When your with your friends, be sure to actually relax. Don’t worry about homework. Don’t worry about school. Just be in the moment with your friends.
  4. Add exercise. When you’re already tired and not feeling great, it seems like exercising and expelling energy would be the last thing you want to do. However, Lucier claims that exercising will actually relieve stress, increase energy and clear your mind. You could even combine this with the last tip, and go out and play a game with your friends. Play Ultimate Frisbee. Go for a walk with your friends. Do something active, and do it for 30 minutes. You will be sure to be amazed at the results.
  5. Acknowledge your accomplishments. Part of the lack of motivation comes from the perceived lack of accomplishment. Much like setting short-term goals, rewarding yourself for the simple things that get done can help boost motivation. The College Board says to take a small break after each task accomplished. Watch a short YouTube video. Message your friend back. Grab a quick snack. Do something to reward your hard work and effort.

No matter what you do to find motivation, take solace in the fact that school’s almost out. Sure, that’s what is causing most of the lack of motivation, but turn it into your favor. You only have a few weeks left; what’s stopping you from giving it your all?