Manhattan tennis closes out the season taking fifth in state

John Ostermann, Online Editor-in-Chief

From the moment the Indians tennis team learned of their fifth place finish, they turned their heads towards next Season.

“This year we all got a good taste of how good you have to be to succeed at the top,” junior Mitch Hutchinson said. “Now we’re all prepared to put in work over the off season to come back and compete for a state title next year.”

Hutchinson competed in the doubles bracket with fellow junior Jack Easton. The duo dropped their first match in three sets to Shawnee Mission East but bounced back in the consolation bracket beating Derby’s No. 2 doubles team. Hutchinson and Easton then faced off against Derby’s No.1 singles team where they were forced to forfeit due to a knee injury Hutchinson suffered.

“I was just running for a ball and when I planted my left leg I felt a sort of pop in my knee and I went down,” Hutchinson said.

The team was one spot away from winning a medal.

Freshman Dan Harkin competed in the singles tournament and ended the day with a fourth place finish. Harkin started the day strong beating Max Wang of Blue Valley in two sets (6-3, 6-0). Harkin then faced a scare as he dropped his first set to Billy Louiselle of Shawnee Mission East (6-0) before surging back and winning the final two sets (7-5). Harkin then suffered his first two losses of his rookie campaign in the semi-final game and the third place game, finishing in fourth place with a 23-2 record on the year.

Sophomore Robert Zhang had a bye in the first round then dropped his first match to Raghav Gupta of Blue Valley North (6-1, 6-0). He was then defeated in the consolation bracket by Derby’s Jarrett Bowman (9-5).

The end of the state meet wraps up Manhattan High’s tennis season.

Team Scores

• BVW 47
  • SME 45
  • BVNW 26
  • Free State 21
  • Manhattan 15

Individual

• Freshman Dan Harkin -4th
  • Sophomore Robert Zhang -early exit. Lost first 2 matches
  • Hutchinson and Easton -Lost first won second lost third by injury default