College Freshman Essentials help make life a little easier

Meredith Comas, Opinions Editor

As seniors move on from high school and graduation day approaches, many may be worrying about what a college freshman actually needs. There are dorms to decorate, classes to prepare for and instant noodles to learn how to make. If you’re one who’s been a little on the “what to expect” side, here’s a list of college freshman essentials from the College Board to help make shopping for your first year in college a little easier.

Room and Storage

Dorm life isn’t the most stylish living, but it can be effective when done correctly. These items will help ensure that wherever you’re staying, you’re productive, comfortable and ready to start the year off right.  

Essentials: Bedside lamp, alarm clock, storage bins, under-the-bed storage trays, drying rack for laundry, calender, area rug, posters or art and mini toolkit.

Linens and Laundry

Everyone knows the age-old stereotypes about college laundry rooms and provided bedding: they’re substandard. In fact, most people don’t have to be told to go buy their own items, especially with the amazing sales one can find as college time rolls around. The College Board suggests a number of items to ensure your items are fresh, clean and looking their best.

Essential Items: Sheets and pillowcases, comforter, mattress pad, clothing hangers, laundry baskets, laundry detergent, fabric softener, stain remover, lint brush and mini sewing kit.

Office and Desk

By far one of the most important parts of college is one’s desk. This is the place where you will write your first term paper, stay up until dawn studying for that final, email your first professor or write home. Due to all the work college demands, it is imperative to stay on top of organization regarding school work.

Essential Items: Flash drives or any form of electronic storage, stapler and staples, printer paper, pens and pencils, pencil sharpener and holders, a lot of notebooks, folders, labels, index cards, sticky notes, rubber bands, paper and binder clips, tape, scissors, highlighters, stackable desk trays, stamps and envelopes.

Electronics

Whether using a laptop for an essay or a camera to capture the memorable moments, you’ll want some electronics during your first year to help keep your life running smoothly.

Essential Items: Laptop, HDMI cord, Ethernet cord, extension cords, a surge protector, three-to-two-prong adaptors, headphones, camera, cell phone, TV/ radio, coffee maker or microwave if allowed, mini refrigerator.

Toiletries

Sharing a dorm bathroom can be a change from home life, but the rules for hygiene and cleanliness never change. The essentials remain pretty simple to keep you feeling your best and looking sharp.