Choir performs various songs at Serenade

Lasirra Hines, Blue M Editor-in-Chief

The Choir classes brought back the Serenade concert after two years due to the pandemic canceling it last year. The event was held last Thursday in Rezac Auditorium. Students from all classes performed various songs, ranging from romance songs to showtunes. The event was three hours long, which was due to giving any student who wanted to perform the opportunity to do so.

“It was really fun. I was happy that everyone was able to sing,” sophomore Kya Davin said. “It lasted [until] about 10 o’clock last night. [The concert] was really long but definitely worth it.”

The students stretched across many genres, performing classic romance songs such as “Can’t Help Falling In Love” by Elvis Presley, covered by Haley Reinhart, and “Somebody to Love” by Queen. They also performed numerous showtunes, including a “Dear Evan Hansen” medley and “Show Yourself” from “Frozen II,” along with other songs from the movie. 

The students were given time during their class to practice for the concert. They also practiced in Rezac Auditorium to plan the sound and lightning.

“[It could be] a little stressful in the beginning trying to get your parts figured out and figuring out [the] orders and harmonies,” Davin said. “But it’s really fun when you do it with people that you love to [sing] with.”

The students got to choose what songs they wanted to do, and it was on a first-come-first-serve basis. Some students chose jazz numbers like “Fly Me to the Moon” by Frank Sinatra and others picked childhood favorites.

“My sister and I were going ‘All is Found,’ but because we are in Chamber, [which is] sixth hour, so fifth hour got to choose before and that song was taken,” Davin said. The two performed “Free” from the film “Barbie and the Diamond Castle.” “[We] grew up watching Barbie all the time, so that was our second alternative.”

Support came from the crowd and fellow choir members alike.

“[I love] hyping other people up, [watching] other people [perform], [seeing] their talents,” Davin said. “When you see someone perform and seeing [them] just glow, I love watching it.”