German Club invites others to celebrate Oktoberfest

Kodi Uphoff, Staff Writer

The foreign language hallway in West campus was filled with the delicious smells of bratwurst and the sounds of festive German music, celebrating the start of Oktoberfest.

On Oct. 4, the German Club hosted a celebration of Oktoberfest for members and other guests from around Manhattan High by selling bratwurst, potato salad and bread while playing music. 

“I cannot choose which I love of the three,” German teacher  ElkeLorenz said. 

The event was held to celebrate Oktoberfest, the annual festival in Munich, Bavaria, Germany, each fall. 

“I think it’s a fun event,” Lorenz said. “It’s a lot of work, but it’s fun.”

Before long, the German classroom was packed with students and parents alike sitting down and enjoying the freshly cooked goods. 

“I think it is a lovely tradition,” said Amanda Eckert, an exchange teacher from Germany visiting Manhattan for the German exchange event.

German culture is colorful and festive, and it’s never a dull moment in Germany’s Oktoberfest. 

“It’s like a huge fair with lots of beer. Lots and lots of beer,” said Christine Simon, another German exchange teacher. “The music is like this, very very loud.” 

There are many aspects about German culture to love. 

“There are a lot more holidays, and a lot of great food,” club president Ryan Thein said. 

Sharing German culture can make people more open to other cultures by exposing them to the different holidays they celebrate, music they listen to and food they enjoy to make them more open to differences.

“I like the freedom the youth have,” junior Connor Buchanan, German Club member, said.