Softball falls short at State

The Manhattan High softball team qualified for State but fell short to Derby 3-2 in the quarterfinals, ending their season. The appearance at State was Manhattan’s first since 2004, after winning Regionals.

Starting on the mound for MHS was senior Kierra Goos, who pitched the whole game. In the first two innings of the game neither team was able to get anything going, with both pitchers allowing zero hits. In the bottom of the third, Goos hit a lead off double, putting the first runner in scoring position for the Indians. The next batter up was junior Anna Wollenberg, who hit a single that scored Goos and gave Manhattan the lead. 

The game stayed 1-0 for three innings with both pitchers battling it out on the mound. In the bottom of the seventh with one out Derby scored a run, forcing extra innings. In the top of the eighth Manhattan scored one run off three hits to regain the lead. Derby got two hits in the bottom of the eighth and scored a run to force a ninth inning where they capitalized on Manhattan’s inability to score, hitting a walk off single to end the season for the Indians.

“The season didn’t end how we wanted it to, but it was a great season and we improved so much throughout it,” senior Avery Hafliger said. ”This team meant a lot to me.”