Manhattan takes first in all races at home

The Manhattan cross country team won all five of their races in their one home meet early Saturday morning.

“This is our home turf,” senior Lucas Holdren said, “so we came this weekend to defend and set a name for ourselves this season.”

The MHS boys team placed first in dominating fashion with a score of 36. Holdren placed first individually and set a new PR of 15:53 leading the team into the top spot, followed by senior Cooper Sturm 17:08, sophomore Will Richards 17:28, juniors Jack Spiegel 17:31 and Andrei Mazin 17:38, senior Aiden Hilton 18:58 and sophomore Wilson Wesch 19:42.

“It was hot and it was hard. But being at home and the home course we know the ins and outs of the course,” Holdren said. “So it felt good, especially getting first but also sending a PR, so that was awesome.”

The girls team also placed first with a score of 61. Senior Haley Henningson placed fifth with a time of 20:58 followed by junior Soliel Disney 21:29, sophomore Caris Goering 21:31, junior Rebekah Pickering 21:42 and sophomores Mira Gurgel 22:38, Averie Phillips 22:45 and Madalyn Fobes 23:43.

“I think we need to figure a few things out with our like bottom Varsity/top JV runners because we’ve got a pretty good bubble there,” Holdren said. “But this meet will for sure to help us flush out who’s where and what we need, what we need to change for the next meet and so on.”

The Cross country team’s next meet is Saturday, Sept. 9, at the Emporia Invitational.