Soccer Closes out  Regular Season, Headed into Postseason

The Manhattan Boys soccer team has officially closed out their regular season, their final game against Shawnee Heights going into a tie at 1-1. This leaves their record at 7-8-1.

The boys have faced lots of ups and downs this, the recent bump being the loss of two starters, seniors Drake Karr and Jimmy Ramirez

“I mean, we had two boys go down last Tuesday,” head coach Mike Sanchez said. “They were starters and a big part of our team.” 

The two starters in reference were seniors Drake Karr and Jimmy Ramirez.

“It’s not what I would have picked for myself,” Karr said. “But I’m just trying to have a positive attitude and stay optimistic.”

The last game the two played in was against Wichita Northwest, in which the boys won 5-3.

The boys played three more games after that, each game being either a loss or a tie.

Their season has been full of games where the team will win by a good amount, such as their matchups against Emporia and JC that have scores of 7-1 and 6-0.

They then face an opponent who switches it up like Wichita North and Trinity Academy, ending the game with a scores of 2-4 and 1-4.

The team’s organization has been a skill that they have been consistently working on this season according to Sanchez.

“It’s really just been our shape and organization on the field,” Sanchez said. “I think we really found it in our previous six games but the injuries broke it a little bit.”

The boys hope to regain this as they head into the postseason, with their matchup against Lawrence Free State on Oct. 24.

“Hopefully we can make a run here in the postseason,” Sanchez said. “I’d like to make this last another two weeks.”