The Mentor

The Mentor

The Mentor

Debate Hosts Home Tournament

Manhattan High School’s debate team has a streak of three, winning either first or second place in their tournaments. In the most recent one they had the team finished second overall on their third week in a row placing either first or second.

On Nov. 11, the debate team plans to host a home tournament. They are going to have five rounds and two divisions, Novice (newcomers) and Open (veterans), they are going to have many teams representing places all over Kansas ranging from Rock Creek to Washburn. People in the MHS debate team believe that kids can learn some useful skills from debating.

“Public speaking is always one of them,”Debate member Salina Wang said. “I feel like researching and analyzing as well.”

The debate community here at MHS is kind and they enjoy what they do. “We work very hard at maintaining a good community at debate,” Debate member Olivia Howe said. “I’ve been here after school like three times but it’s so much fun,” said Debate member Eshal Khamisani.

The Debate team is still looking for people to help them judge during the upcoming home tournament on Nov 11, so if this is something you are interested in then be sure to go to this link: tinyurl.com/3y2fcy27. You must be 18 years of age or older to be a judge, and this does count towards your volunteer hours.

The debate team continues to support each other and still has plenty of events planned for the future.