A Case For Debate

The Debate team is soon to embark on preparing for State, Regionals and other competitions.

“If we do well and place, we get a spot at state,” senior Jordyn West said. “We are currently choosing our novice State teams.”

Debate also recently completed the National qualifier.

“The season is coming to a close… we are just trying to prepare for state,” West said. “This 

upcoming weekend will be four speaker regionals…  We will have two teams competing, one team will be arguing for the affirmative side and the other will be arguing on the negative side.”

Along with finishing the season, Debate also has plans for future endeavors.

“We have novice state coming up soon and our annual Christmas party, ” senior Sufian Khmous said. “We also have a Varsity state tournament beginning of January.”

Debate also has a reason to celebrate, actually many reasons.

“We celebrate all of the placements we have had throughout the tournaments,” Khmous said. “We drink and eat, we play smash brothers, we socialize. We do a lot.”

It seems like debate would be a very fun thing to be part of, both in and out of tournaments, although winning might be a factor in that.

“Our season went really well. We won quite a few tournaments and we had great success in all the different levels of debate,” senior Andrew Hutchinson said. “Our varsity teams medaled at multiple tournaments and our novice team came out on top multiple times. We also hosted our home tournament which went amazing.”

Hutchinson also has a positive outlook on what the future 

“Looking forward to forensics season,” Hutchinson said. “We are planning to do really well and should have a good squad going into nationals this summer.”