Manhattan Hands Junction City First Loss of Season 

After a hard fought game Friday the Manhattan High boys basketball team handed Junction City its first loss 65-64 while MHS improved to 6-2 on the season. 

Manhattan faced rival JC in the first game of the new year. MHS looked to continue their three game win streak as JC looked to stay undefeated. 

In the first the Indians came out strong taking a 7-2 lead. We were up going into  the final minutes of the first quarter before JC bounced back to take a 16-11 lead over Manhattan.

MHS responded in the second quarter by out-scoring Junction 27-12 with the help of Manhattan’s 8-1 run to end the half as they took a 38-26 lead going into the half.

“JC is our biggest rival so anytime we can come here from our home crowd and get a win it’s great,” junior Landon Knopp said.

Starting the second half Manhattan was able to maintain the lead with the help of a couple of fast breaks from seniors Jason Kim and Asher Newcomer as they went into the fourth with a 48-40 lead.

Going into the final quarter Junction came out wanting to win the game as they made it a two-point by game with four minutes left. In the final minutes Manhattan was able to keep their lead as they handed JC its first loss 65-64.

“It means a lot to me and my team,” senior Miles Braxmeyer said, “as a senior last time playing JC at home, so it was a big win for us.”

Offense showed to be a big part of Manhattan’s win as they shot 50% from the field with Kim scoring 24 and Newcomer with 11.

“It just feels good, we worked on this during practice x’s and o’s,” Kim said. “We worked on this a lot so I’m feeling great.”

Manhattan’s next game is Friday at home against Washburn Rural.