The Dilemma of Hallway Traffic

Hunter Flagg

There are a lot of people here at Manhattan High School, between all of the teachers and students. Especially with the freshmen now being here at west campus. And everyone knows about how ridiculous it is to walk from one class to the next during our passing period.

Between friends gathering in large groups in the commons near the alumni room and people taking up the entire hallway or walking on the opposite side of the hall, it is extremely frustrating for everyone to navigate the school.

Everyone, at some point, has been fed up with walking around this school during passing periods. It’s inevitable to be upset with other people walking in the halls. Especially during passing periods where people have lunch.

Everyone is trying to get to the lunch lines, people are meeting up with friends, and even more people are rushing to tables or to their next class. As a student myself, it’s overwhelming to try to walk through the commons area during those passing periods.

But how do we even go about solving this issue? Well, really, there’s no real way of fixing it.

Sure, we could try to tell people to walk on either side of the hall. We could tell people not to gather in the halls or take up the entire hallway. But would people listen? No. They would not. After all. It’s not elementary school anymore, we don’t have to walk in lines.

As frustrating as that seems, it’s the unfortunate truth. Sure, lots of people would actually probably listen and comply just so they could get to their classes. But I don’t believe that enough people would listen.

But, I would urge anyone and everyone to please at least make an attempt to make room for others in the halls, so everyone gets to class on time and without frustration, especially in the commons.