Boys Basketball falls short at Sub-State

The Manhattan High boys basketball team fell short in the first round of Sub-State 56-70 to Wichita South, putting an end to their season.

“I really got into my friend group here,” senior Max Stanard said. “These guys really introduced me here and being able to spend these four years with them was really special.”

The Indians started the game off hot with a 13-4 run with the help of two three’s from senior Jason Kim. The rest of the quarter, South made its way back into the game with a 10-3 run of their own with MHS still holding a 16-14 lead. In the final seconds of the quarter, senior Asher Newcomer got a steal and drove down the court for a layup at the buzzer as the Indians went into the second quarter with a 18-14 lead over the Titans.

“This team means a lot to me,” senior Miles Braxmeyer said. “It’s been a blast playing with them and I wouldn’t want to do it with anyone else.”

MHS started the second off scoring four straight to bring their lead to six. Quickly after South responded with a 13-2 run taking their first lead of the night 27-22. After the Indians took a timeout they quickly  regained the lead 31-29 with two minutes left in the half. In the final minutes of the half both teams struggled to find the basket until Newcomer hit a three in the final second giving the Indians a 34-29 lead going into the half.

“We didn’t play good defense. And I think we just need to be more physical,” Stanard said. “We just kind of came out sleeping and paid for it.”

Going into the second half South came out wanting the game with a 14-4 run as they took the lead 43-38, giving them their second lead of the night. Finishing out the quarter both teams struggled to shoot the ball, only scoring four points each giving South a 47-42 lead with a quarter left to play.

“They had a big guy who just didn’t really know how to get around them,” Newcomer said. “So he was kind of an issue and I mean, if we just could have taken care of the ball a little bit better.”

In the fourth Manhattan continued to struggle on both sides of the court as South took their largest lead of the night at nine, 56-47. Closing out the quarter Manhattan came back within six, but it would not be enough as South ended the game outscoring the Indians 14-9 ending the season for Manhattan in a 56-70 loss.

“They mean a lot to me. I’ve grown up, they’ve been my best friends and I’ve gotten a lot closer to them,” Newcomer said. “I’ve just grown up playing basketball with them. And I think basketball has really brought us close together and I wouldn’t trade anything for it.”

Next year the team will have one returning starter and six others who appeared in Varsity games. The outgoing seniors recommend a strong work ethic to continue the team’s success.

“Just go out and give it your all and don’t take anything for granted,” Braxmeyer said.

Newcomer agreed that hard work will lead to positive memories from the experience.

“Keep working hard and cherish these moments,” Newcomer said. “It comes and goes in flashes. I mean, just cherish it while you still got it.”

Stanard said the work is not just physical, but also mental.

“Take advantage of the mental approach of the game like with film, getting to know your scout really well is a big advantage,” Stanard said.

After four years of putting in the effort, Kim is left with the memories of his time on the team.

“Thank you for all the memories,” Kim said. “I’m just going to miss playing with them and I hope that the next class can do good.”