The Mentor

The Mentor

The Mentor

Baseball dominates in Home Opener

Photo by Javi Mercado

The Manhattan High baseball team started the season off hot with a no-hitter and a perfect game, winning 18-0 and 16-0 over Wichita South.

In the first inning senior Jake Wolcott took the mound, striking out two batters in one-two-three inning. In the bottom of the first, bats came out hot for the Indians as they racked up 14 runs on 11 hits, giving the Indians a 14-run lead going into the second. Wolcott continued to dominate in the second as he struck out the side keeping South hitless. Bats kept going in the second as MHS scored four more runs off two hits giving them a 18-0 lead. In the third sophomore Jackson Goos took the mound striking out two of the three batters as MHS run ruled South with a combined no-hitter in game one.

“We kind of took [the underclassmen] under our wing, the seven seniors, we just kind of showed him how everything was done and they’ve, you know, molded really great into the team,” Wolcott said.

In game two senior Landon Ott took the mound. In the first Ott had one strikeout and allowed zero hits and walks. The bats stayed hot from game one with the Indians tallying 14 runs on nine hits in the first giving them a 14-run lead. In the second Ott got another strikeout before junior Sam Spiegel replaced him on the mound where he got a strikeout while keeping the perfect game intact. In the bottom of the second MHS scored two more runs on three hits giving them a 16-0 lead. In the third Spiegel stayed on the mound for one out, where he recorded a strikeout before sophomore Brayson Gnirk took the mound to record the final two outs and complete the perfect game.

“We got a bunch of young guys here today but I think just as a team, we work pretty well together, you know, learn how to play with each other,” senior Owen Good said. “Competition wasn’t quite there today, but we worked well and got the job done.”

Manhattan’s next game will be Friday at Topeka High.