Sculpture students get opportunity for inspiration

Tracy Le, Trending Editor

Seven Manhattan High Sculpture 2 students looked at artists like sculptor Andy Goldsworthy to get ideas for their Art Installation project, which was put up and taken down last week.

“I think it’s pretty cool and something I have not done with my students since working here… it was a neat chance for the kids to think outside the box,” art teacher Rachel Fontenot said. “I chose this project for something different. We could be outside and use materials we normally wouldn’t.”

“The project was to show that we could use nature to create things and combine different parts of nature to create something beautiful or symbolic,” junior Jacob Richards said.

Although she was sick and didn’t get to complete her project, which was going to be sticks woven together, senior Hannah Silva agrees about the purpose of the installation.

“The point was to show how humans and nature interact,” Silva said. “I thought it was interesting. I think it’s a good idea because I feel like it brings awareness to human and nature interaction… I like the three dimensional art.”

Each student had the task of using supplies found in nature to develop a piece of art in the courtyard by the art rooms.

“As a group, we decided that [artists do things like this] for the sake of nature; to draw attention to a place people may normally ignore,” Fontenot said.

The students enjoyed the uniqueness of the project.

“I thought it was interesting. It was really unique; I’d never done anything like it before,” Richards said.