Students solve functions for feasts

Elizabeth Underwood, Features Editor

• Scavenging for food, sophomores Luke Miller and Tyler Bradley solve a piecewise function in order to earn gravy for their Thanksgiving feast. Math teacher Dedra Braxmeyer’s Advanced Algebra II classes were assigned to explore the commons, cafeteria and music department where they solved piecewise functions to earn Thanksgiving inspired foods.

• Scavenging for food, sophomores MaKenna Eilert and Hannah Rowley work together to solve a piecewise function in order to earn gravy for their Thanksgiving feast. Math teacher Dedra Braxmeyer’s Advanced Algebra II classes were assigned to explore the commons, cafeteria and music department where they solved piecewise functions to earn Thanksgiving inspired foods.

• Scavenging for food, juniors Ethan Englelhorn and Anna Hupp solve a piecewise function in order to earn pecan pie for their Thanksgiving feast. Math teacher Dedra Braxmeyer’s Advanced Algebra II classes were assigned to explore the commons, cafeteria and music department where they solved piecewise functions to earn Thanksgiving inspired foods.

• Scavenging for food outside the sophomore office, junior Hannah Johnson and sophomores Kailey Perkins and Ana Mango work to solve a piecewise function in order to earn pumpkin pie. Advanced Algebra II students in teacher Dedra Braxmeyer’s classes were assigned to explore the commons, cafeteria and music halls to find pictures of different Thanksgiving inspired foods and to solve equations to earn them.

• Working out a piecewise function, sophomores Ashlyn Gillispie and Chase Dillion work to earn cranberry sauce on the first floor bridge. Students in teacher Dedra Braxmeyer’s Advanced Algebra II classes were tasked with a scavenger hunt to find different Thanksgiving foods scattered throughout the commons, cafeteria and music hallways and were then required to correctly solve corresponding piecewise functions to earn each food item.

• Scavenging for food, sophomores Luke Miller and Tyler Bradley solve a piecewise function in order to earn stuffing for their Thanksgiving feast. Math teacher Dedra Braxmeyer’s Advanced Algebra II classes were assigned to explore the commons, cafeteria and music department where they solved piecewise functions to earn Thanksgiving inspired foods.

• Scavenging for food, sophomore Victoria Bedros and senior Gardner Blanck solve a piecewise function in order to earn sweet potatos for their Thanksgiving feast. Math teacher Dedra Braxmeyer’s Advanced Algebra II classes were assigned to explore the commons, cafeteria and music department where they solved piecewise functions to earn Thanksgiving inspired foods.

Rushing through the school, students in Dedra Braxmeyer’s Advanced Algebra II class hunted down answers to make a perfect Thanksgiving feast.

As a review with a twist, Braxmeyer set up separate stations throughout the hallways in the school, each having a specific food, and instructed teams of two to go through them, solving problems that related to their upcoming test.

“It was fun; I mean, it was definitely different than what you would normally do,” junior Anna Hupp said.

Pairing up with their classmates, the math students worked together to grasp the concepts and ideas relating to their latest lesson on functions.

“It was good, like, we got to work with partners so if we didn’t know something we could talk about it,” junior Caroline Hwang said.

In addition to reviewing problems and expanding their understanding of piecewise functions, students unknowingly competed for prizes based off of their feast results.

“The next day [Braxmeyer] told us who got the most, like the biggest Thanksgiving meal and there was also the weirdest combination of foods and there was also the healthiest,” Hwang said.

Overall, the experience was both beneficial and exciting for the students.

“It was fun running around the school,” sophomore Anastasia Mingo said. “I was able to work on [the problems] and it made a lot more sense.”