High school ‘hero in disguise’

Andrea Lu, Graphics Editor

The time has finally come for me to graduate and it’s not how I pictured it. Frankly, I didn’t know what I had in mind to begin with, but I guess I thought I would feel different or somehow at peace with myself and accomplished.

But, to be honest, I don’t feel anything out of the ordinary. I’m 18, a senior in high school and I’m about to head off to college soon. It’s all kind of surreal and I don’t think it’s set in that my life is going to dramatically change. It’s exciting but equally terrifying.

There’s so much that I don’t know and so much of the world that I haven’t seen. My future still feels somewhat uncertain and the amount of college debt I’m going to rack up is something I’d rather not mull over. And yet, I feel oddly content knowing that I’m about to complete a chapter of my life in just a couple of days. It’s bittersweet knowing that my days at Manhattan High are short-lived. There will definitely be aspects that I’ll miss dearly but also cherish greatly. On the other hand, the countless homework assignments and projects I did, the all-nighters I pulled and days when I walked around like a zombie in sweats and a T-shirt won’t be missed, although they also won’t stop anytime soon.

But enough about my all that; here’s to the past four years of my life.  

Everyone says that your high school years are the best years of your life and while I may not completely agree with that — not even slightly — I can say that high school has truly expanded my horizons and made me more aware of the world.

Of course, high school was a struggle in a myriad of ways but also a period in my life replete with once-in-a-lifetime opportunities and eternal memories of sheer joy and bliss — crying of laughter from hearing the weirdest stories on the late work nights with the newspaper/yearbook staff, seeing One Direction in Kansas City, meeting Harry Styles — okay, okay, I waved at him and he waved back –, baton twirling down Main Street at Disney World and so much more.

High school was a place where I gained perspective. High school allowed me to have these experiences that were essential to help me grow as a person tremendously. I look back on my ninth-grade self and see someone so innocent and ignorant as opposed to me now. In retrospect, these past several years have been invaluable because of the knowledge I’ve gained, the people I’ve met and the experiences I’ve obtained.

None of this would have happened without the teachers I’ve had who’ve encouraged me to try my best and willingly dedicated their time to help me succeed.

And to my fellow journalism staff, who have been so positive and supportive, you’ve all been such a pleasure to work with. I’ll always remember those late nights when we were all delirious, when we’d talk about the most bizarre topics while always keepin’ it real. I’ve truly enjoyed my time on staff and I’ve learned so much, from AP style rules and graphic design to funny, absurd facts about some of you that allow me to get to know you in ways I never thought I would.

In the future, I hope to continue to acquire new knowledge and fresh experiences. I know I’ll hold dear these memories I’ve created here during my time at Manhattan High.  

And as I end the last column and article I’ll ever write for The Mentor, I’ve realized that high school was, to put it bluntly, terrible but also a hero in disguise. High school may not be the best years of your life and not exactly the utopia you imagined but don’t throw these years away. While everyone’s high school experience is different, you can learn and take away ever-lasting memories and knowledge that will assist you later in life and will help shape the person you are.

Use this time to learn and explore your academic and extracurricular interests. Your high school years are a time to discover yourself. Pursue your passions and fall deep into the unknown.