Students stay active in rowing

Erick Echegaray, Opinions Editor

Manhattan High offers the opportunity to be a part of a competing athletic team for a variety of sports, many which are highly competitive and demanded, but not every activity can be a part of the school umbrella. Some students look to the outside to be active and pursue a passion, such as rowing, which without the school name has succeeded in acquiring a multitude of students- athletes of an alternative caliber.

“I think our team is more personal [in comparison with school teams],” senior Bailey Kinsley said. “It helps that we’re not part of the school. We communicate more.”

The Manhattan Junior Crew acts privately in partnership with the Kansas State rowing team

“We don’t have any sponsors,” senior Taylor McMorris said. “We’re basically the little sister association of the Kansas State mens [rowing] team.”

The team practices year-round, competing in events such as their version of a regional competition, which takes place in Oklahoma.

“We go five days a week every single week of the year,” McMorris said. “We get to go on many trips that school teams don’t get to go to. It’s a lot of opportunities and it just feels more like a family because we don’t cut.”

Multiple students in MHS are involved in the sport of rowing, helping them stay active by competing in meets, or regattas.

“It helps you stay active,” senior Brendan Kinsley said.

He participated in a double along with his brother Bailey in the last regatta.

Since the sport is not associated with the school, it relies on its members to pay a monthly rate, a pay-to-play system for them to afford their trips and competitions, such as their next regatta which took place in Wichita over last weekend.

“I’m hoping for the best [in the meet],” McMorris said ”We’re one of the largest team in Kansas, so I think our best [opponent] would be Colorado. The Mile High crew is ridiculously strong but I think we’ll do well.”

Manhattan rows in Tuttle Creek state park.