The Mentor

The Mentor

The Mentor

Wrestling triumphant at Centennial

Coach Robert Gonzalez and the Manhattan High wrestling team stood victorious on Saturday, winning Centennial League as they have in years past, scoring 227.5 points. The Indians defeated Shawnee Heights and Washburn Rural, both tied for second with 157 points, among other teams to win the tournament.
“There were a few good teams in our league, but we went as a team and got the job done,” senior 285-pounder Eldon Picou said.
Picou has won Centennial every year since he’s been a freshman, this time he took first in his last performance at Centennial.
“To me what we did is we got guys on the podium,” Picou said. “When you can get teammates on the podium, it’s a good day. You can score points by winning matches but getting guys on the podium is what makes the difference.”
Manhattan brought home multiple first place finishes in the form of Picou, seniors Joe Braun, Zephry Killham, Devin Norris as well as junior Jalin Harper and sophomore Bubba Wilson.
Other finishes included junior 126-pounder Ab Sanchez’s fourth place finish.
“We all need to step it up and keep scoring,” Sanchez said. “I lost and let myself down getting fourth. Regionals is going to be tough but we expect to get first.”
Manhattan, being the overall winner of Centennial league, won multiple end of the year awards including Coach of the Year which was awarded to Gonzalez and Player of the Year which was awarded to senior 145-pounder and two-time state champion Mason Wallace.
The Indians will now compete in regionals, the last stepping stone on their way to compete at state. Picou, Wallace and Norris among others will get their last chance of providing Gonzalez and MHS a state title. It would be Manhattan’s first since 2012.
“Regionals and state, we need to do a repeat,” Picou said. “Having champions is nice but if we don’t get guys placing we won’t win.”
The Indians will compete in regionals next Saturday away from home.