Scholastic Journalism Week: Let’s meet The Mentor

Mira Bhandari, Copy Editor

As readers leaf through a new edition of The Mentor every week, they are holding in their hands the designs of the publication’s page editors. Monday nights mean business for these six editors as they spend hours compiling the week’s stories, photos and graphics onto their pages. With their unique skill sets and backgrounds, each page editor brings something special to their designs.

News Editor:

Authenticity, originality and dedication. Senior Angie Moss is not only print editor-in-chief of The Mentor, but is also the News page designer.

“News has to be eye-catching and captivating,” Moss said. “It has to make you want to look at the rest of the paper.”

Her goal for her designs are to make them one-of-a-kind each week, a task that she is no stranger to as she was the former Trending Editor as well. According to Moss, the research, hard work and late nights pay off when she sees her design in print the next day.

Opinions Editor:

Expression, responsibility and patience. The Opinions page, home to staff columns and editorial pieces, is designed each week by senior Erick Echegaray, who has been a page editor on staff for two years. Echegaray values his page as an outlet for staff and student perspectives.

“Opinions is an interesting space,” Echegaray said. “I think it’s the one spot where you can express unpopular opinions out to the mainstream…no matter what side the opinion is coming from, one has the power to express it and I think that’s kind of the voice of the people.”

Features Editor:

Resilience, alacrity and eagerness. Features Editor Elizabeth Alexander, junior, has been a page editor since the beginning of the year. After taking on the position, she added all of the skills that go into page layouts to her contributions to student publications. She is also a graphic artist for The Mentor. With her page, she hopes to showcase the individuality of Manhattan High’s student body.

“[Features] like to cover individual people and we like to give them kind of the spotlight because there are kids here who actually do really unique things,” Alexander said. “It helps give those kids that kind of attention that every kid every once in awhile needs.”

Sports Editor:

Adaptability, perseverance and ardor. For junior Jacob Clanton, editing the Sports page is about more than providing readers with timely coverage and an appealing design. The subject of sports itself is an area of great interest for Clanton, which also carries over into his responsibilities as Sports Editor for The Blue M.

“I care about sports deeply,” he said. “I feel obligated to make sure that sports are well represented on paper.”

With this motivation, Clanton endeavors to balance his page with a broad spectrum of Manhattan High’s athletic departments.

Entertainment Editor:

Initiative, patience and leadership. Senior Cora Astin has been The Mentor’s Entertainment Editor since January, taking on a new role in publications halfway through the year.

“Being able to show what I guess the students do is really interesting,” she said was one of her favorite parts of her position. “And you get to have unique layouts.”

Many new staff members contribute to the Entertainment page, which according to Astin, is something that has further enabled her growth as a page editor and a leader.

Trending Editor:

Innovation, development and creativity. The inventive designs of the Trending page are pieced together by junior Savannah Cherms, who has been designing pages for student publications since her freshman year and became a newspaper page editor as a sophomore. For Cherms, being a page editor has broadened her horizons and helped her step out of her comfort zone, and she considers telling people stories one of the most important parts of her position.

“People get really excited when they see that they’re in the paper,” Cherms said. “So it’s really cool to be that person that does that for them.”