Students branch out through summer exchange

Savannah Baron, Entertainment Editor

There are many things a student can do over the summer, from clubs, vacations, and exchanges.

Manhattan High senior Olivia Belin traveled to India on July first and remained there for the rest of the summer.

“I stayed with a host family,” Belin said. “They have two children, 13-year-old twins.”

Although Belin resided in a city called Indore, she visited Delhi, Mandu, Maheshwar, and Arga as well.

Another student who was far from home this summer was sophomore Elizabeth Hohn, who gained the opportunity to become an exchange student by qualifying through a test she took in class. Hohn resided in Nuremburg, Germany for three weeks. “I stayed with a host family of two parents who had two daughters, one my age, and another who was 25,” Hohn said.

Belin spent her time learning new things about the culture, art, music and getting to know the people that took care of her and attended classes with her at the school.

“In the mornings we had Hindi classes, but in the afternoon they focused more on culture,” Belin said. “I took classes on Indian art, practiced playing the tabla, (Indian drums) and learned traditional dances.”

Hohn also attended school while she was away.

“I went to school with my host sister and got to go to her German classes,” Hohn said.

Hohn mentioned how she made some friendships because of these classes on her trip as well.

“I went with 12 other Americans and we all got really close, they were in my German classes.”

While away. Some other things Hohn participated in while on her trip included trying new foods that her host family made and going to a Hennaabend, which is like a German bridesmaid party, plus, not only did Hohn go to Nuremburg, she also traveled to Berlin.

Another important aspect of foreign exchange is food. Belin said that her favorite meal included a type of soup with cheese cubes and chicken.

“For basically every meal I was served a type of soup, rice, and chapati (flatbread),” Belin said. Hohn mentioned that her host family was turkish, so she was served a lot of turkish styled meals.

“I think getting to know everyone here is my favorite part. I’ve gotten super close to my host sister and to a lot of the students at the school.”

The great thing about exchange programs is is getting to meet new people from different parts of the world; however leaving loved ones behind for a while can be difficult.

“I’d say around the third week was the hardest. It was then that I started missing my family and friends, but since then I have really adjusted and I’ll be sad to leave,” Belin said.

Some of the things Hohn participated in while on her trip included trying new foods that her host family made and going to a Hennaabend, which is like a German bridesmaid party, plus, not only did Hohn go to Nuremburg, she also traveled to Berlin.