Evangelidis named USD 383 Sub of the Year

Kami Bussman, Staff Writer

The name Demetre Evangelidis is a name that most students have heard when roaming through the halls at Manhattan High. The well-known and well-liked substitute recently won the USD 383 substitute of the year award. Evangelidis is a retired teacher who has yet to stop giving back to the education field.

Evangelidis studied in London and got his undergrad at the University of London. Following that, he got his graduate degree at the University of Michigan. Before retirement, he taught as a physics, chemistry and math teacher for 40 years, but has just been teaching as a sub for two and a half years. Teaching full time helps him have prior knowledge in the subjects that he teaches so he can be a great help to students who may have questions. He said he enjoys subbing.

Getting students to pay attention and listen is a hard task for many substitutes. People often joke around more and listen less when their normal teacher is gone. Having a sub makes them think they won’t get in trouble.  However, Evangelidis looks for ways to be cooperative and understanding with the students is what sets him apart from other substitutes

“I try to relate to at least some of the students…personally,” Evangelidis said.

Knowing the students on a personal level helps him connect with them and makes getting the students to listen easier that way he doesn’t have to send as many students to the office. With the amount of times that he subs in a week, students generally know who he is and what they are allowed to do with in his class.

Finding him in action is not hard to do. He subs at Manhattan High’s East and West Campus on average three or four days a week–sometimes for more that.

“It gives [me] the flexibility to either be here or not to be here. I’m retired that’s why I sub, because I don’t want to have a full time job at this stage of my life,” he said.

If you talk to the students of Manhattan High who have had him as a substitute and some alumni or current students that have had him as a teacher, the majority of those students will tell you that he is a fantastic teacher with an innovative way of teaching ideas to where they are understandable.

Evangelidis’ talent with handling students has come in handy many times when he subs at MHS. He has been greatly rewarded for his hard work and dedication. That is why he is always invited back to Manhattan to continue subbing and working with the students he has made so many connections with.