German exchange results in new bonds

Kaitlyn Clark, Blue M Managing Editor

After two weeks, several trips and many new experiences, the German exchange students are headed home.

“The beginning was kind of difficult because everyone was a little bit shy,” sophomore Brandon Luck said. “Obviously when someone from a different country comes, you’re kind of like, you don’t know what to talk about at first, but when you really get to know them it gets a lot easier.”

Luck was a host during the German students’ stay in Manhattan. Hosts housed the exchange students and showed them different places around Kansas. The exchange students will do the same for their American hosts when they travel to Germany in the summer of 2018.

While at Manhattan High, students got the opportunity to attend classes with their hosts. The American education system does, however, vary from German education.

“The school is longer, and every teacher has his room, and the students come to the teacher,” Lina Webea, a German exchange student in grade 10 said. “In Germany, the teacher came to the students.”

Differences seemed to be a major part of their stay in America, with everything from culture to food being a new experience. Some of the differences were not as obvious.

“I love the sky here because the landscapes are- you can see farther than in Germany because everything is crowded and you don’t see that far [there],” Isabelle Kuehmelt, German 10th grade student, said.

While the exchange students learned a lot, their hosts took away knowledge from the experience as well.

“I think getting to meet someone from a different culture [was my favorite part] because I’ve never been out of the United States,” Anya Wesely, sophomore, said. “You know, it’s eye-opening.”

The exchange trip was truly a learning experience for all.

“I learned a lot about German culture that I didn’t know,” Luck said. “And I find it interesting that they all know such good English, way better English than we know German.”

Although the German students were here for a brief two weeks, bonds were formed that stretch over two continents.

“We’ve met a lot of really nice people,” Liv Brandenstein, German 10th grade student, said. “It’s sad that we maybe can’t see them again.”