Athlete of the Week: Kia Wilson

Micheal Simmons, Sports Editor

• Scored 27 points against Seaman, along with an assist and four deflections and rebounds. Throughout the season, Wilson has scored 116 points, accounting for 21 percent of all Manhattan Highs points. Wilson currently averages 13 points per game.

In every sport there is an element of talent and it’s apparent that there is a great amount of talent on the Manhattan High girls Varsity basketball team, as they regularly blow out opponents.

In big win, it has always been a team effort, and it’s shown on the statistics sheet. One of the regular contributors, junior Kia Wilson, was able to help the team overcome a slow start and eventually finish out a close game against Seaman. Wilson contributed 42 percent of the team total points. Despite the fact that Wilson was the one who got the statistics, it wasn’t done alone.

“I think our teamwork was huge,” Wilson said. “We had some really great passes that made a huge impact. I think that is great especially for us because that is something we have been putting emphasis on.”

Wilson has played basketball throughout her entire high school career and has no plans to stop anytime soon.

“I love basketball and I don’t know what I would do without it,” Wilson said. “The best part of basketball is definitely my team.”