MHS mascot is respectful, not offensive; let’s keep it

Frank Felber, Guest Columnist

To the Editor:

There has been a lot of talk about changing the Manhattan High School mascot and logo because they are “offensive” and “derogatory.”

The MHS Mentor even had an editorial advocating this move. Its arguments are that the mascot and logo are inherently offensive to Native Americans and that the change is needed to preserve the concept of basic human rights and dignity.

Mentor editors may not be aware that the Powhattan Kickapoo Nation High School only about an hour from here uses a warrior logo. Obviously those students do not see their mascot or logo as inherently offensive. If they did, they wouldn’t be using it.

While it is possible that the MHS logo, even if not offensive by nature, could be used in an offensive way, the Mentor editorial presents no evidence that is being done.

Another argument the Mentor editorial board makes is that “Native Americans after all are the only ones who can deem what is offensive towards them.” To them that means that any discussion as to whether the mascot is really offensive is invalid unless the argument is made by Native Americans.

Question: How many people on the editorial board are Native american? If there are none, why should the Mentor’s opinion on the subject not be self-disqualifying?

One big crucial fact that the editorial board forgot is that our school-issued planners contain the fact that the Manhattan High logos were designed by Native Americans! I would also note that the mascot issue was debated in 2001 and settled. Since that time I am aware of no change that would warrant reopening the discussion.

My personal view is that the school takes steps to ensure that the logo and mascot are used in a fashion designed to honor, rather than offend, Native American students.