Tribe prepares for Hommecoming

Kaylee Kurman, Online Editor-in-Chief

Tribe has always been one of Manhattan High School’s main source of school spirit. For this coming year they have made a lot of changes to improve and get the students more involved. 

Tribe has been working extremely hard on posters for game days and coming up with lots of creative themes. 

“We want to have great things so everyone can participate,” senior Linley Wilson, Tribe president, said.

For the sake of including more sports around school, Tribe is now creating themes for home volleyball games. This means students have double the fun with the traditional football home and away games included. They have been working extremely hard while working with school administration to be more creative with themes instead of having the same ones every season. 

Homecoming is the biggest activity Tribe conducts during the fall. 

“The girls have worked extremely hard and there’s so many activities the look forward to in your Advisory slides,” Haleigh Jung, assistant Tribe sponsor, said. 

One of the big events of Homecoming week is the Pep Rally, which will be at 6 p.m. on Oct. 12 in the North Gym at West Campus. This Pep Rally will include performances from the Manhattan High cheer and dance team as well as PowderPuff cheerleaders. 

Before COVID the tradition of the PowderPuff cheer team had a large number of participants, but numbers were much lower last year. Wilson said this year the number of participants has increased this year. 

According to Wilson there have also been changes in girls PowderPuff, with the girls playing dodgeball instead of football, in teams divided by grade. This is due to trouble finding a place and day for the football game, Wilson said.

This year’s Homecoming week also present problems because of the school schedule for that week. 

“Something that a lot of people don’t know is that homecoming this year is on a three day week,” Wilson said, “but we will still have our themes so you can post and tag our instagram.”

To offset the cost of Homecoming Tribe members are selling shirts. This will help funraise for the dance on Saturday, Oct. 15, at West Campus. These shirts are custom designed by Tribe and will be for sale only on Wednesday this week at lunch for West Campus and Thursday for East. Shirts will be $20 and payment can be through cash or check. 

Another change for this year’s dance is that only seniors can bring outside guests. 

“We are so excited to see everyone dress up for Homecoming and take pictures with all the fun decorations,” senior Audrey Conley, Tribe Homecoming chair, said.