Breaking News
The student news site of Manhattan High School

The Mentor

The Mentor

The Mentor

JV Smashes Home Match
Elizabeth Thornley, Staff Writer • September 29, 2023

The girls on the Junior Varsity tennis team won three single rounds and one double round in the home meet against Topeka West, Junction City,...

Heat sensor triggers fire alarm in school once again

Photo Courtesy of Lane Lewison

At 10:35pm last night, a heat sensor in the lower E-hall kiln room triggered a fire alarm. The Fire Department arrived at 10:42pm and deemed the school safe, allowing custodial staff to reenter. 

“I came up [to the school] soon after, looking at the kilns, adjusting the hood and a vent adjacent to the kiln,” Principal Michael Dorst said. “It’s a new space and some of the items in there, the vent hoods, are different than the ones we have in the other pre-existing kiln rooms.”

This was the second fire alarm in the school over the past two days. However, the two events are not related. The alarm that triggered a school-wide evacuation on Tuesday was caused by a smoke sensor, while last night’s was caused by a heat sensor. Principal Dorst stated he is working with the Fire Department to ensure these sensors are functioning properly, especially in a high heat area like the kiln room. 


Leave a Comment
More to Discover

Comments (0)

All The Mentor Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *