Project MHK Helps Students in Need

A new organization has been formed by a group of five students with the hopes of helping students in need.

Project MHK targets education and food security with K-12 tutoring services every Monday night. 

“We all have a love for education and we wanted to share that with young kids who may not have that love yet for school, so that’s why we started tutoring,” Project MHK team member Raisa Hossain, junior, said. 

This project was inspired by the members’ desire to help the community and give back to the education system that has given them so much.

“I’ve always wanted to work with people who help with kids and give kids the opportunity to learn, like how we are given our opportunities,” Project MHK co-founder Michael Hwang, senior, said.

For each tutoring session, kids who need help sign up online for a session with a team member by filling out a form on what subjects and topics they need help with. Then the tutors will research that subject and prepare themselves for the session.

“The most important thing is how to effectively teach the topic,” Hwang said. “You have to teach it in a way they understand.”

Along with tutoring sessions, the group has aspirations to make food for the homeless shelter and hygiene kits for the crisis center. 

“It’s going to be really empowering knowing that we put in the hard work to make the food and the hygiene kits and deliver it to them personally,” Hossain said.