The Mentor

The Mentor

The Mentor

Volunteering Brings High School Students Many Benefits

The Distinguished Service Graduate Program provides a way for students at Manhattan High School to efficiently and effectively log volunteer hours. Students track their hours through a program called x2VOL. Every time a student volunteers or does a service for the community, that time can be logged into the program. When the requirement of 100 volunteer hours (25 in service of the school or school district) is met, the student will be honored at graduation with a red cord. 

Erin Spreer, freshman P.E. instructor and health teacher at MHS, runs the program. She’s the one to contact and answer any concerns or questions with logging volunteer hours.

“I just think there’s a lot of benefits that come with serving others…whether you use it to apply for colleges and scholarships or not,” Spreer said.

Sophomore Agnes Choi has already done 159 hours of service.

“I have volunteered at my church,” Choi said. “And the Bergman Elementary summer program, Blast.” 

There are plenty of opportunities to volunteer. Concession stands at sport events are often looking for student volunteers. You can volunteer at your church, a nonprofit organization, a summer camp, and much more.

“The program is a good way to encourage us to actually volunteer,” Choi said. 

Not only is it beneficial to extend one’s service to others in the school or community, having a place to organize volunteer work can be helpful for the future.

“It is an easy way to track all your hours and keep them organized,” Patrick Keenan, sophomore, said. “I could put it in my college resume, which is very helpful.”

Volunteering can help kids step outside of their comfort zones and engage with the community.

‘It’s good for kids and people in general to know what it’s like to serve others and kind of step outside of their own world and give back,” Spreer said.