Volleyball starts season off slow

The Manhattan High Varsity volleyball team has played 12 matches so far and is 5-7 for the season. 

Their team consists of seniors Jayda Juenemann, Addison Cox, Faith Kratochvil, Tatum Tindall, Jaden McGee, Abigail Gruber and Ellie Wilson; juniors Dakotah Garcia, Isabelle Peabody and Caitlyn Woods; and freshmen Bailey Busch and Serania Fonoti.

MHS’s first match was against Gardner Edgerton on Sept. 5. MHS won three of the four sets they played, 21-25, 25-17, 25-22 and 25-17. 

Their went to a quad at Silver Lake High School on Sept. 7, facing three games. Their first opponent they went against was Silver Lake. They lost both sets, 20-25 and 24-26. With these two games their record is now 2 to 2. Their second opponent they went against was Shawnee Heights where they ended up winning the sets 2-1, scoring 25-20, 20-25 and 19-25. Their last team they faced was Seaman High School where they lost 0-2, scoring 16-25 and 22-25. 

On Sept. 9 Manhattan played at the Olathe South Tournament where they went 0-2 against Blue Valley North, scoring 17-25 and 15-25. With this game their record of the season so far is a 3-6 record. Their second game was against Olathe South where they lost the sets 1-2 scoring 25-23, 18-25 and 13-25. They then played Blue Valley Northwest where they lost their sets 0-2, scoring 20-25 and 20-25. The last game they played they won 2-1 against Lawerence High, scoring 20-25, 25-16 and 25-25. 

On Sept. 12 the team traveled to Great Bend for a triangular with Great Bend and Hays. MHS won both games they played. The Hays score was a win 2-0, with scores of 25-10 and 25-16. Great Bend was another 2-0 with scores of 25-16 and 25-16. 

MHS hosted a dual against Mill Valley High School on Sept. 14, where they lost 0-2, scoring 25-27 and 18-25. 

“It was a little rocky. The beginning started off pretty well. We won that set but the last three sets we kind of… I don’t know, lost ourselves, I guess,” Mcgee said. “But I think it mainly was the passing, we just needed to be better and put the ball down more consistently.”

The triangular scheduled for Thursday against Salina Central and Emporia has been rescheduled for Oct. 2, so the next time they play at home is Sept. 26 against Junction City and Hays.