Softball splits with T-High

Jacob Clanton, Staff Writer

• Freshman Haleigh Harper throws the ball to first base game of the season for the Manhattan High Softball team, on April 1, 2016. The team won 8-3 in the first game of their double header against Topeka High School.

• Caught between the ball and the base junior Chelsey Henry, during the first home game of the season on April 1st. The team won their first game with the score of 8-3 against Topeka High School.

• Freshman Haleigh Harper swings the for the ball at the opening game of the season for the Manhattan High Softball team, on April 1, 2016. The team won 8-3 in the first game of their double header against Topeka High School.

On a cold, windy spring night, the Manhattan High softball team split a doubleheader with Topeka High. MHS won the first game 8-5 and lost the second 10-6.

Both teams had to deal with 50-degree weather: much colder than the seasonal average.

“Our arms are getting a little stiff because we’re cold,” senior Suzanna Gevock said. “But, you know, it wouldn’t be the first time we play in the cold.”

As both teams had to deal with it, neither team gained an advantage.

“I think both teams battled it,” head coach Monty Enright said. “So I don’t think it had a tremendous affect on either one. Spring sometimes can be really, really chilly.”

In the first game, with sophomore Anna Batt pitching, the Lady Indians quickly jumped out to a 6-1 lead after two innings.

“I think we did good for the first game,” Gevock said. “We definitely showed them, like, we’re ready to play this season.”

MHS never surrendered the lead, but allowed Topeka High freshman Roni Raines to hit a home run in the seventh inning.

In the second game, Manhattan quickly got ahead 4-0 after two innings. Home runs from freshman Haleigh Harper and sophomore Ayanna Gamble contributed to this lead. However, the team hit a rough spot in the fifth inning.

“[We just] couldn’t get any outs,” Enright said. “There were a few plays there where we had an opportunity maybe to get an out and we didn’t, and they made us pay.”

Topeka High was able to score five runs in the fifth and four runs in the sixth, taking a commanding 9-6 lead heading into the final inning. The Lady Indians got two runners on base in the seventh before giving up three straight outs to end any comeback.

“If they’re like me, they’re a little disappointed,” Enright said. “But I’m very proud of them, they played hard.”