Swimming competes in final meet

Megan Klug, Blue M Sports Editor

Wednesday night was full of farewells and final times for the swimming and diving team.

Being the last home meet, last meet of the season and senior night, it was a bittersweet night all together for the swim team. The team placed first, topping Emporia in a dual. The night also included goodbyes to two seniors, Robyn Burton and Tory Bach. For Robyn Burton, she also was ending swimming with her sister.

“I’m going to miss swimming with my sister so much,” sophomore Kathy Burton said. “She’s the main reason I joined swimming. It was definitely very hard at the meet trying to compose myself and prepare myself to be ready for it, but it’s gonna be hard next year especially because every single time that I doubt myself as a swimmer my sister is just there.”

Robyn was also the team captain and showed her leadership with other team members as well.
“She knows how to make people feel welcome and involved and she makes people feel like they do contribute to the team because I know starting swim is scary,” Kathy said. “Robyn has this way to convince you enough to believe in yourself by believing in you and it just makes her an amazing captain and the team won’t be the same without her next year.”

Along with senior farewells the team will be saying goodbye to the swimming coach Jerry Carpenter.

“I think the goodbye to Jerry is going to be the hardest parts because he’s just such a good coach,” Kathy said. “He understands that yelling doesn’t work and that you are the only one that can convince yourself to get better and that thought process never really crossed my mind as an athlete and to have him be so kind and understanding is amazing.”

Overall, the natatorium was filled with emotions and celebration for a great win. Several swimmers are under state consideration, but for most swimmers the season is over.