Get to know new teachers

Lily Colburn, Business Manager

Shawn Bammes is going to be a health and physical education teacher at Manhattan High school east campus. Bammes has looking forward to finally be in the classroom this year after previously serving as a security guard for the school. “I was actually working on my college classes while I was actually in the school building,” Bammes said. Bammes is an MHS graduate and while he was here one of his favorite teachers was Lee Woodford.

Chelsea Barten will teach freshman English this year. Barten previously taught English at Junction City Middle School and Anthony Middle School. She is excited to be “moving forward in a positive direction to improve our facility.” Walt Disney has always served as inspiration for Barten because of his innovation and vision.

Carol Beins will be an special education teacher for students with emotional and behavioral disabilities at both MHS East and West campus this year. Beins is looking forward to being back in the district after living and teaching in Nebraska for the past two years. Timber Haw Keye, the author of Buddhist Bootcamp, is someone Beins has always admired and continues to inspire her.

Samantha Brown is going to be a special education teacher for students with behavioral disabilities for Manhattan and is looking forward to meeting the kids she will be assisting. “They are what make it fun,” Brown said. While in high school Brown’s favorite teacher was an English teacher who didn’t fit the mold of a “normal” teacher.

Haileigh Carlson will teach ninth grade English this year. This will be Carlson’s first year teaching after she graduated from KSU last year. Carlson is from Manhattan and attended Manhattan High School. While she was a student here, her favorite teacher was Mrs. Eichman. Carlson is excited to get into her own classroom and getting to figure everything out.

Val Converse is going to serve as a Gifted facilitator for MHS this year. Converse has previously taught across USD 383 but most recently at USD 383’s adult learning center. Converse said she is looking forward to “being a part of the family and to get to know the students and teachers here.”

Emma Detrixhe will be teaching physics at the west campus this year. Detrixhe is coming from Abilene where she taught various science classes. She is looking forward to living in Manhattan, a bigger city than she is used to, because there is a Chipotle and Target. Growing up Detrixhe always looked up to her mom who was able to attend college while taking care of her children and home.

Caroline Gunn with join the special education department at MHSW this year as the transition coordinator. Gunn is looking forward to interacting with the kids and to start collaborating in the family atmosphere of MHS. Gunn’s favorite teacher when she was in high school was her junior english teacher who taught her to love reading.

Ian Holman will join the social sciences department this year teaching global affairs as well as US history. In high school Holman’s favorite teacher was a math, not social studies teacher, who helped guide him both personally and academically. Holman previously taught at Fort Riley Middle School.

Morgan Jobe is an 11th grade English teacher who is most looking forward to a shorter commute to work  this year. She has lived in Manhattan since college but previously taught English at Junction City High School. “I’m excited to finally get to teach kids who live in my community,” Jobe said.

Darren McCoy is going to be teaching AP US History and regular US History. McCoy is looking forward to teaching a curriculum that is at a higher level than he has taught in the past. When McCoy was growing up he always looked up to his martial arts teacher. McCoy is new to the High School but not to the district; before this year he taught history at Anthony Middle School.

Elissa Mullinix will join the agriculture and science department and will teach environmental science, agriscience, botany and biotechnology. Mullinix is excited to be back in the classroom working with students after being in an administrative role at K-State prior to this year.

Hannah Pralle will be starting her teaching career as a ninth grade English teacher. Pralle graduated from Kansas State University last year. She is looking forward to getting to know the students in her classroom this year. Pralle completed her student teaching here at MHS under Miss Kleiner.

Jancey Radke is joining the math department this year as a geometry and intermediate algebra teacher. Radke is excited to be teaching a curriculum that is new to both her and MHS. Growing up, and to this day, Radke looked up to her brother who is just three years older than herself. “He set the bar, and I always wanted to break it,” said Radke.

Janette Stark will be a Gifted coordinator for MHS this year. Stark is excited to be back teaching high school students. She previously taught at MHS but has most recently been teaching at Amanda Arnold Elementary School.

Jennifer Swenson will be an 11th grade English teacher who is new to the area. Swenson previously taught at Campus High School which is located in Wichita, KS. She is excited to live in a, “smaller community,” this year. While in high school Swenson looked up to her 10th and 11th grade English teacher as well as her librarians, “they nurtured my love of English and reading,” said Swenson.

Adrian Walker will be a Biology, Zoology and Marine science teacher at the high school this year. “I’m excited to teach using fun, interactive learning labs in my classes,” said Walker. Walker was previously the pre service coordinator for K-State students teaching at the high school.

Kathryn Estabrook will teach French at MHS this year. Estabrook was not available for comment at the time of publication because she was attending an immersive french workshop.