Athlete of the Week: Jalin Harper

Micheal Simmons, Sports Editor

To be extremely successful in any sport requires a certain amount of talent or passion, but in most case, it’s a mixture of both. In senior Jalin Harper’s case, it is a mixture of both.

“Wrestling makes me feel amazing,” Harper said. “It’s a different kind of feeling, you don’t have to worry about anything else. During practice or a wrestling match they’re are no other worries it’s just you and the other guy.”

Jalin Harper was one of the remaining Varsity members who participated in the Shawnee Mission Northwest Invitational. Not only did he participate, he was the highest scoring wrestler for Manhattan High. It’s usual for it to take several years to master a certain craft, especially wrestling.

“I’ve been wrestling since I was five,” Harper said. “My parents signed me up for the kid club and I went to one practice and loved it.”

Harper has continued to wrestle throughout his entire high school career and placed third in the state Kansas, during his last state championship run. Harper’s amount of passion and experience in the sport has earned him a full ride scholarship to Oklahoma State University where he will continue his wrestling career. OSU is currently ranked second in the nation for wrestling.