Golf Takes 2nd at State

The Girls Varsity Golf team wrapped up their season last week, taking second at the State tournament. The result was the best team finish in 15 years.  

Junior Kaitlyn Lagabed, sophomore Wrenn Burton, junior Emily Wuggazer, sophomore Lily Bahr,  sophomore Kat Ball and freshman Maddie Myers all competed. During the two-day meet they had a score of 644 and three top 20 individuals. Myers came in fourth with a score of 72 on the first day and 74 on the second day, totaling 146; Ball tied for 14th with an 80 the first day and 84 the second with a total of 164; Bahr placed 16th with 80 and 85 and score of 165; Wuggazer tied 22nd with an 85 and 84 for a total score of 169; Burton tied for 30th, shooting 88 and 86 with a total score of 174; and Lagabed tied for 43rd with scores of 90 both days, totaling 180. 

Head coach Paige McCarthy was proud of the way the team adjusted and finished the tournament.

“As far as team wise how they played, they did well. They played better Monday. The conditions were a little worse because of the wind,” McCarthy said. “On Tuesday, they didn’t have the best front nine but the back nine really turned it on and improved their scores and improved their standing.” 

The team trailed Shawnee Mission East for a while, but during the last nine they pulled ahead of them. The Indians would hold onto this lead for the remaining holes, securing the runner-up spot. 

“Maddie Myers who is a freshman getting fourth and shooting over one on day one and three on day two is just crazy good” McCarthy said. 

Maddie Myers has shown how much work she has put in this year as a freshman. 

“I think I played really well the first day. I played good as well the second day,” Myers said. “I could have done a few things better but I mean…overall I think I played pretty solid. My mental part at the beginning of the season wasn’t the best and I knew it needed to get better but that definitely improved towards the middle.”