Pro actor makes visit to MHS drama classes

Ale Flores, Staff Writer

Last week, retired Emporia State from 23 years Dr. Jim Ryan came to Manhattan High School. He is a professional actor. When he’s not teaching he tours all over the state giving master classes. He came to talk to all the drama classes about acting and the necessary requirements for good acting.

“I want to convey about the craft of acting and talk about the basic ingredients basic elements of honest truthful actors,” Ryan said, “and to talk with young actors about those things, so they don’t get into bad habits, I want to convey some pivotal elements of truthful acting on stage.”

MHS drama teacher Linda Uthoff was delighted to have Ryan talking to students.

“He’s a master acting teacher,” Uthoff said. “It’s always good for someone else comes here and explains thing in a different way or a more effective way.”

Dr. Ryan stayed at MHS drama classes the whole school day and was happy to talk to students about his experience with acting and how to become a better, successful actor,

“I love the connections with students and seeing them grow; see lightbulbs come on,” Ryan said.

Some students were really emotional during Dr. Ryan’s presentation as he acted for them and  and there were tears in some of the students’ faces.

“He seemed to have a very clear understanding of acting. You could tell he had a lot of experience with acting, ” junior Wesley Danielson said.

Dr. Ryan’s visit to the school gave most drama students a new perspective in how to feel about drama and acting.

“Manhattan High School is really fortunate to have Linda as their drama teacher,” Ryan said. “She’s so dedicated and so passionate and the kindest person you’ll ever meet.”