First orchestra concert offers solo opportunities

Savannah Cherms, Entertainment Editor

• Senior Arnav Das is congratulated after his solo by orchestra director Nate McClendon. Solo’s are rare and hard to come by in orchestra, so Das’s solo was a major event at the concert that night.

• Senior Arnav Das performs a solo along side the Chamber Orchestra at Thursday nights concert. Solos are seen as an honor in orchestra, and Das had to play his solo from memory. Even with the added pressure, Das performed that night without a hiccup.

• Senior Arnav Das performs a solo along side the Chamber Orchestra at Thursday nights concert. Solos are seen as an honor in orchestra, and Das had to play his solo from memory. Even with the added pressure, Das performed that night without a hiccup, finishing the song with a bright smile.

• Chello players Nathan McClendon, senior, and juniors Chloe Dorst and Robin Joung perform at the first orchestra concert of the year with Chamber Orchestra. Orchestra director Nate McClendon presented the group with a challenge on stage, offering the members of choice of playing a more challenging song that they knew or a brand new piece. The collective decision was made to play a new piece that night.

• Senior Arnav Das is congratulated after his solo by orchestra director Nate McClendon. Solo’s are rare and hard to come by in orchestra, so Das’s solo was a major event at the concert that night. Das had to play his solo from memory.

• Members of the Symphonic Orchestra perform their first song of the night, Galop by Brian Balmage. Symphonic played 4 songs at their first concert, one of which they recieved the music for that night. “We like to challenge them,” director Nate McClendon said of the challenge.

Solos are a big deal amongst music groups. It’s seen as an honor to be able to step out from your group and show off a talent as an individual. This is just as true in Chamber Orchestra at Manhattan High.

On Thursday, Oct 8, MHS Orchestras had their first concert of the year. Members of Symphonic Orchestra and Chamber Orchestra dressed up in their concert black and faced the challenge of the first show. The pressure was especially on for senior Arnav Das, who had the honor of soloing during the last song of Chamber Orchestra’s set.

“I was a little worried,” Das said. “That first concert always has to set the tone for the rest of the year, so I wanted to do well.”

Das had to play his solo from memory, which orchestra director Nathan McClendon commented on that night.

“He has to play his solo from memory so please don’t do anything extra to distract him,” McClendon said to the audience.

Das spent the last couple of weeks memorizing and practicing his piece in and out of class.

“It was really important to me that I didn’t want to screw it up. It was a big deal and an honor for me to get to do that.”

Both Chamber and Symphonic Orchestra were offered challenges that night on stage. McClendon gave the Symphonic orchestra members a piece of music that night, and had them perform the piece after only a few moments to sight read and familiarize themselves with it. According to McClendon, he does this to challenge the members of his orchestras, and it is also a way to show the audience members how the groups learn, and the talent that the students have from the start. He had a similar exercise for the Chamber Orchestra.

“I can’t challenge these kids the same way I can Symphonic,” McClendon said.

McClendon gave the members of Chamber Orchestra three options: play one of two challenging pieces they knew, or play a brand new piece. After a minute of voting, the group played a new piece, and even with the lack of previous knowledge the group still performed the song successfully.