First performance of ‘Guys and Dolls’ put on

Elizabeth Underwood

Dancing in their club, the girls of the Hot Box-Nightclub skip and sing about love with the song “Bushel and a Peck.”

Ale Flores, Staff Writer

• Singing of his sins, senior August Balman played the role of Nicely-Nicely Johnson, a cohort of main protagonist Nathan Detroit as well as a high class gambler. This was Balman’s fourth year in the musical and third year with a main speaking role.

• In an attempt to redeem himself to his fourteen year fianceé, character Nathan Detroit swoons Miss Adelaide with his song titled “Sue Me.” Played by senior Tanner Knapp, Detroit faced many hardships as one of the main protagonists along with senior Emma Galitzer.

• Betting the gamblers their souls for “1,000 potatoes.” junior Grant Williams brings the show to an end with the solo “Lady Luck” for character Sky Masterson. After a little over a month of practice, students opened the show this past Sunday and will continue it on throughout the week. “Oh man, all of the singing, holy cow I lost my voice so many times and I am right now,” Williams said. “But I’m going to deal with it.”

• Dancing in their club, the girls of the Hot Box-Nightclub skip and sing about love with the song “Bushel and a Peck.”

• Delivering bad news to the small mission located off of Broadway, sophomore Emma Lansdowne played her first speaking MHS role as General Matilda B. Cartwright. Defending the mission stands Sarah Brown, played by senior Katheryne Hager.

• Gathering on Broadway in the finale, junior Grant Williams and seniors Katheryne Hager, Tanner Knapp and Emma Galitzer take the center stage to announce the time lapse that took place to create a happy ending.

• Opening the show with their “Fugue for Tinhorns,” juniors Gavin Larios, Trey Hafen and senior August Balman sing of the horse races that their characters had just gambled on.

“Guys and Dolls,” the Manhattan High fall musical, is more than just people singing and dancing. It reveals the story of Nathan Detroit, a gambler who needs to pay a garage owner $1,000 to host one of his big craps games. He then bets Sky Masterson that he can’t get Sarah Brown, a beautiful woman who is protesting against gambling, on a date. After a lot of resistance, Sky gets her to go out on a date with him. She agrees, because he offers to bring people into her mission. Meanwhile Nathan’s girlfriend of 14 years, Adelaide, wants him to marry her.

“I think the message of this musical is not to judge a book by its cover just as Sarah judges Sky, and vice versa,” Thespian sponsor Linda Uthoff said.

On Sunday the first performance of “ Guys and Dolls” opened in Rezac Auditorium to a large, enthusiastic crowd.

“There were over 500 people,” Uthoff said. “I was thrilled. They really pulled it all together.”

After the show, students were really tired but happy of the outcome of the play.

“It was really exhausting, but also exhilarating,” junior Wesley Danielson said. “I felt very nervous, but excited that I got to do what I’ve been rehearsing for all this time.”

Junior Hannah Phillips was really happy with the turnout of the musical.

“I think it went really well,” Phillips said. “It’s going to get better each day.”