Students qualify for KMEA state choir

Kaitlin Clark, Entertainment Editor

After participating in the Kansas Music Education Association’s district level choir group, four Manhattan High students have qualified for Kansas’ state choir.

“I was very surprised that I had made it,” Ashlyn Gillispie, senior, said. “When my cousin called to tell me, I honestly thought she was joking.”

Seniors Gillispie, Wyatt Balman, and Emma Lansdowne, as well as junior Jack Laswell, have all been accepted into state. Taking place at the end of February, the KMEA state choir event will see students from across Kansas come together and perform several pieces of music.

“To prepare I’m probably gonna work on the songs more and just make sure my voice is healthy,” Lansdowne said.

Instead of auditioning for district and state separately, last month’s KMEA auditions that took place in Junction City, KS served as an audition for both.

“I was somewhat nervous to audition, but I had auditioned last year so I knew what it entailed this time around,” Laswell said. “I actually felt pretty good about my audition afterwards.”

All students were glad to hear the news that they had succeeded in entering into such an honored group.

“I have been aiming for state for years,” Lansdowne said. “I’m really excited to get this opportunity.”

These singers were chosen for their abilities, but difficulties still lay ahead. Gillispie and Laswell were accepted into state as performers in different vocal sections than they auditioned with.

“I’m preparing [for state] by relearning the songs in a different part,” Gillispie said. “Luckily we have plenty of time.”

This also proves to be a unique group, due to the somewhat unusual vocal section one student will be performing with.

“I’m super excited to be performing at state especially as a female tenor,” Lansdowne said. She will be performing as a first tenor, a vocal part typically performed by men due to the range of notes.

Manhattan High students and groups have been recognized on district, state and national levels in the past, partly due to the choir program’s emphasis on not only enjoying singing and performing, but also learning more about music beyond just reading and counting. Students work on vowel shapes while singing, dynamics, tone, and many other skills.

“I feel very lucky to be a part of choir at MHS,” Gillispie said. “Choir is a lot different at other high schools, so I’m happy that I get to do choir here and learn more music skills.”

Students will be performing with other choir students from across Kansas on Saturday, Feb 24 in the Century II Concert Hall in Wichita, KS. The public has the opportunity to watch the KMEA state choir with tickets going on sale in mid-January for seven dollars each.

After months of preparation, the singers are excited to have the chance to showcase their talents and represent Manhattan High’s choir program.

“I really love the choir at our school,” Laswell said. “I’m incredibly grateful for this opportunity.”