2019 Oscar Nominations leave students hopeful

Riley Williamson, Staff Writer

It is that time of year again for the Academy Awards, this year being the 91st. The 2019 Oscar Nominations were announced Jan. 2, by Kummail Nanjini, well known as a stand-up comedian, and Tracee Ellis Ross, an actress.

You can expect many celebrities to attend the award ceremony, but only 10 total actors and actresses will be picked from for the Lead Actor/Actress award.

Both Bradley Cooper and Lady Gaga were nominated for this award from the movie “A Star Is Born.” The movie was also nominated for best picture.

There are eight nominations for Best Picture including “Black Panther,” “BlacKkKlansman,” “Bohemian Rhapsody,” “The Favourite,” “Green Book,” “Roma,” “A Star Is Born” and “Vice.”

2019 is the first year for a superhero movie to be nominated as Best picture, according to vox.com, who also said “Black Panther” $1.3 billion globally.

“The only one I’ve actually seen all the way through is Black Panther and that was really good, especially the point that African Americans are taking a step out into the Marvel Universe. I’m pretty glad that was nominated,” Avery Smith, junior, said.

Smith isn’t the only person that enjoyed “Black Panther.” Junior Hannah Higgins also is glad the movie got nominated and she hopes it wins Best Picture.

“I think for diversity’s sake I’d want the Black Panther [to win],” Higgins said.

The awards will be presented at the Dolby Theatre in Hollywood this year on Feb. 24.